Various and Sundry
Posted March 8, 2009on:
Because I’m having problems putting a coherent sentence together, you get a list:
1. Darren starts his new job on Wednesday. yay!
2. My last day of work is April 9. After counting on my fingers, that’s about 25 working days. Or 5 weeks. And that means in 10 weeks we will be parents.
3. I am swamped, absolutely swamped, up til then.
4. I finally kicked this cold and feel a thousand times better.
5. Because I feel better, and I woke up early, so far today, I have:
- had coffee and breakfast
- ran the dishwasher
- gathered the laundry together
- unloaded the dishwasher
- made a pork roast and put it in the crockpot (except because we don’t like rosemary, I substituted marjoram)
- made meatballs with a pound of ground beef I took out yesterday (it was in the fridge)
- made chicken broth, which is simmering on the stove for another 45 minutes.
6. Decided that when I opened the oven after preheating it for the meatballs (I make them on the broiler pan and grid), and smoke came out so that my eyes watered, it was time to run the self-cleaning cycle. Remember this, kids.
7. I dug out the manual for the oven, because in 2.5 years of owning the oven, I have never run the cleaning cycle.
8. I read it and realized that part of the self-cleaning cycle includes myself cleaning the door and glass. So I cleaned it. Ew.
9. Got all the old stains off my big aluminum skillet using the cream cleaner stuff for the oventop and a brillo pad. Now I need more oventop cleaner. (Yes, I washed the skillet really well afterwards. I may even put it in the dishwasher which is almost ready to be run again)
And I am still in my pajamas. These days, the pajamas are the ultimate in sexiness: my (oversize) pajama bottoms paired with one of Darren’s tshirts because the tops of my pajamas are not comfortable.
For those that really want to know: we are not in the least prepared for the baby. At all. We have some clothes, a bassinet, a dresser that we’re not using, and figure that’s a good start. We need blinds, diapers, all the day-to-day stuff. So the kid won’t have to sleep in a drawer or anything, but may have to go naked for bit.
And that’s why my last day of work is so far in advance of my due date of May 16. I am hoping (crossing fingers) that I’ll be able to get most of it done in that time.
Speaking of due dates and baby prep, we’ve been attending prenatal classes on Monday evenings (as if we weren’t busy enough). The leader is also a doula and is really nice, kind of crunchy in a hippie sort of way, and us and the rest of the people in the class are, well, not.
She asked, for instance, if anyone was planning on a homebirth with a midwife. Kudos to those who do want that, however its not my style. And its not the style of anyone else in the class.
Then she asked if anyone was planning on a non-medicated birth. And all the women looked at her like she had 5 heads. One of the husbands started so say that he didn’t want his wife to have medication during the birth, and she turned around and told him, “Then YOU can have the baby.”
All in all, a really good group. Am seriously considering a post-baby party for all of them in July.
2 Responses to "Various and Sundry"
Comments are closed.